Thursday 13 August 2009

I LOVE IT EVEN MORE!!!

b

Caution: I'm going to sound like a mad person as you scroll down to read this post.



Temple of Artemis, then.









Temple of Artemis, today.

I don't understand how could the people back then even demolish such a magnificent building; which is said to be the largest ever Pagan Temple in the world. Sadly, due to the fall of a pagan worship and natural disasters, one of the seven ancient wonders of the world has ceased to exist physically but its history continues to live.

Paul (yes the disciple) walked through this beautiful wonder...can I be his friend?

-chelle-

4 comments:

Essie said...

Terrible, right? It was used as a tactic for war. Simple ideas: Bomb/Destroy/Plunder their most precious landmarks, they might just surrender.

But I think what is even more amazing is how MANY MANY structures today would just kaput in the face of a whirlwind or a tsunami.

But THIS BABY has withstood earthquakes, hailstones, multiple fires, even bombings, thousands of thieves and mindless soldiers...

And look how well she's surviving. =)

You can learn a lot about Ancient Greek history here. Especially in art and architecture? Notice how everything is in perfect proportion (Golden Proportion), this is one of the oldest use of the TRIANGLE shape, which speaks of the whole deity and mortal relationship. And check out the columns! Those are Corinthian columns. And how about the exquisitely done low-relief animal figures up there on the roof?

The space between each column is perfect, and each stone was cut perfectly so it never needed any kind of adhesive, nail, whatever.

The interior floor plan is even more amazing. Try looking it up! =)

CheLLe said...

Hahaha. Okay Esther now I know if I need help with Ancient Greek I'll go to you. But it was built during the Roman's time isn't it?

To me, it doesn't matter what ancient building it is, my heart just goes out to such beautiful buildings that have been abandoned.

Ju said...

well, when you go to heaven, you can ask paul all about it. =D

CheLLe said...

Very funny Ju! Oh no...I can't meet all my Egyptian pharaohs!!! SOBS!