Sunday 13 January 2008

Total confusion: ADP or STPM? Law or History?

When my parents first told me, "After SPM, go and do STPM" I was thinking in my head, 'What?! STPM...NO WAY!!!'

That was about 2 years ago (2006) and when 2007 was coming to an end, I started thinking and realized that I'm not sure (still am not) of what course I should study or what I want to do in the future. Hence, I came to see that STPM would be a way out as I would still have two more years to think things through though many of you would disagree as it requires a hell lot of work and discipline to sit for this 3rd hardest exam in the world. However, I began to really see things differently (and this is not because of my parents' influence but it was solely on my own thinking and realization) and soon enough I decided that I would not mind sitting for STPM. One main reason for that 180 degree change of heart is because I get to study History. And yes I know it's going to be about Islam, ASEAN etc etc plus it will be in BM, but who cares (ok, well maybe only I don't care). The fact that I can enjoy studying History for another one and a half years is just good enough for me.

When I thought I had my mind made up to enter Form 6 and get through with STPM then later apply for a scholarship to further my studies in USA, I went for the STAR Education Fair and voila! I was confused all over again.

Here are my options now: Law or History.
History is something that I am very (absolutely) passionate about and would not mind just studying this particular subject my whole life. Seriously, I'm not kidding.
Law, on the other hand, is the subject closest to History and the best subject suited for my talent: memorizing (so to speak) besides History. However, I lack the passion for this subject unlike for History. On the plus side for this option is that I will have more job opportunitues compared to the first option.

If I were to do History, I can choose to continue on with STPM; which some qualified people have advised against or I can straight away go for ADP. However, once I do ADP I can't turn back and do Law as USA's Law is not recognized over here.
What about Law then? I can do STPM; which would be a good step and then further my studies to Australia or UK.

I haven't been so confused in a long; long time and now the head is just spinning and spinning and spinning! Am praying hard that I make the right decision as this is I would think so is the decision that's going to set the path for my future. Some say ADP (well mostly my friends) while some *ehem* older people would suggest STPM but at the end of the day it boils back down to what I want and what I think would be the best for me. If I were to do ADP then scholarship is another thing to think about...boy this is never going to end isn't it? Then again, History isn't a course which is widely recognized and Malaysia is one good example. If you mention History to any Malaysians they would likely just ignore you. Thus, that is another headache!

-chelle aka confused soul-

No comments: